Saturday, May 29, 2010

Reasons I Love Japan #587: Ice Balls


While I do not consider myself to be a “whiskey man”, on rare occasions I do find it nice at the end of the evening to sit down and relax with a glass of Scotch (or other type of brown liquid).  There is no better place in the world to do this than Japan, as typically in their nicer bars (many of which can be found in their better hotels) the presentation they use is first class.  Specifically I am talking about their use of ice balls.  Aside from the scientific reasons for using a large ice ball (or block) of ice which creates less melting and thus dilution of your drink, the use of a ball, especially if it is hand carved is unsurpassed.  Having someone take this type of care and time to make your drink will inevitably make it taste better.  Here is a video of this impressive act, which comes in two parts.  The first can be found here:


The second part of the process can be found here, which completes the total construction:


Now if you are in a desperate thirst, it is certainly reasonable to say that you simply cannot tolerate such a long lead-time to get your drink.  However, if you are patient, you will be rewarded.  This is a very simple thing, but something I believe is a fantastic example of the Japanese culture itself – that is, their attention to detail and presentation.  I find this extremely appealing, and think this is one of the many reasons I happen to love Japan!

In regards to the above, I remain deeply indebted to my Japanese friend Ken, who gifted to me a round ice ball mold.  While using the mold is certainly not as good as the real thing, it is certainly much more convenient, and far better than the smaller ice cubes that my refrigerator manufactures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment