Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm Back!!!

Well it has been quite a long time since my last Blog post, and I am a bit sorry for the large gap. No excuses, just priorities and some kind of strange lack of fundamental motivation. The beauty of the Blog though is it is still here, ready to be added to at any time. No time constraints, no problems. That’s nice.

So I would like to use this first new post to say a little something about the (relatively) new picture that I have inserted into the title bar of my Blog. It is a beautiful painting of Old Satchmo, otherwise known as Louis Armstrong, along with his well known trumpet. Aside from the fact that I think it is a really cool painting and one that fits in so perfectly with my Blog title, it was actually painted by an old University dorm mate, a guy by the name of John McCloy. I have not seen John since that one year we lived in a UCLA dorm together (on the same floor) over 30 years ago (yikes!), but through the powers of the modern day computer social networking sites I have re-established communication with him through e-mail. We all knew in the dorm that John was a very talented artist and musician. It is really neat to see that over 30 years later he is still utilizing these talents. Aside from his painting of Louis Armstrong (which he gratefully allowed me to use on this site), John has many other paintings of famous musicians, along with some examples of his songwriting and musical skills on his web-site which can be found at http://www.johnmccloy.com. One small world thing I found out about John upon reconnecting with him was that he came to UCLA that fateful year after spending his four years of High School at the American School of Japan in Tokyo!!! Now that is kind of an interesting coincidence don’t you think? Here is one other painting that John did of the famous U.S. musician from the 1960’s Jimi Hendrix. Very cool stuff – thanks John!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment