Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In Search of a Better Tomorrow . . . . . .

March 11th, 2011.  A date which will forever be recorded in the history books in Japan, as well as the rest of the world.  My life changed on this date, along with that of many of my friends.  I have been thinking about people and things in Japan since that fateful day, and have been wanting to put out a post to capture my thoughts and feelings.  I have read so many comments on this disaster, most of which are so well written, that I think I cannot possibly say anything that will have any real meaning.  The situation is just too large to fully grab a hold of.

Immeasurable suffering.  Unforgettable video and pictures.  And the stories keep coming and coming.  Unlike many natural disasters, this one is far from over.  The "natural" part might be ending (although continued aftershocks must surely test the nerves of even the most hardened survivors), but the disaster is far from played out thanks to technology that we have created.  The only thing that appears certain at this moment at Fukushima Daiichi is that the chess game with our invisible enemy is currently stalemated, and it now seems fairly certain that 6 months to even 1 year may be required to fully stabilize the situation.  After that, Toshiba promises us a 10 year clean-up.  All that is left to assess is the final "exclusion zone", and the short and long term effects on health as well as our food chain.  With this now certain, the Japanese all prepare themselves in their own ways for the long battle ahead.

In this historical event, one thing has shown clear to all those around the world who are watching (and yes they most certainly are all watching).  It is something that I found out 17 years ago.  That is the incredible strength, the incredible dignity, the incredible resiliency and the incredible respect within the Japanese people.  In terms of "civilization", the Japanese are the true leaders of the world.

My relationship with Japan changed on March 11th.  I am eager to return to start a new relationship with a new Japan.  One that has resurrected itself from a great tragedy and is different, yet in many ways still the same.  I have changed too.  I will try not to take anything for granted anymore.  Even the simple things.  A hot shower.  A nice meal.  A friendship.  A safe flight.  I will see you soon Japan.  Ganbaro Nippon ne ka?  Hai!  Ganbaro Nippon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment