Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ramen . . . . . . . or is it Raumen?


So I guess you could call me a “foodie”, as one of my hobbies is cooking.  My wife Mrs. M was my initial motivation to want to learn how to cook as I was always so impressed with the skill and comfort she exhibited in the kitchen.  My cooking “apprenticeship” was also fueled by my love of wine (another hobby), as I soon realized the significance of how food and wine can complement and enhance one another.  You will see that many of my adventures in Japan are centered around food, as I have come to truly love Japanese cuisine (I don’t cook it, but I love to eat it!!!).  So in the many culinary based adventures in Japan, I would have to say that I have come to love a good bowl of ramen as much as anything else.  A simplistic view of this “ordinary” dish would say it is just a bowl of noodles in some broth, covered by an assortment of various condiments.  I would not deny this attitude.  However for those more willing to immerse themselves in the details, you will find a Pandora’s Box of various subtleties, from regional differences, to the importance and skill required for a good dashi (or broth), along with many, many other variations.  A good Japanese friend of mine named Ken, and partner in a mutual quest for “Kuidaore” (eat until you fall down), gave me a $5 copy of the Japanese movie “Tampopo” that he bought in some shop in NYC.  Tampopo is a great movie, made in the ‘80’s I think, that follows the travails of a Japanese woman trying to open up her own Ramen Shop.  I highly recommend this movie to anyone who loves Ramen (make sure if you don’t speak Japanese that it has English sub-titles like mine, at least until the end when I think they change to Chinese – hey for $5 bucks what do you expect!!!).  I have tried to come to better understand Ramen during my trips over.  Despite numerous bowls, many of which were consumed on the other side of midnight, I still consider myself a novice.  There is much more to learn, and I am eager to continue on this special journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment