Friday, July 22, 2011

Great Dinners in Japan: Conne

Recently I came across my old camera, a serviceable yet now obsolete device that I last used probably 4 years ago.  In it, there were four Memory Sticks which contained a number of pictures that I had neglected to transfer over to my home PC.  It was great reviewing those old photos which brought back many wonderful memories.  A number of them were from a great dinner I took part in at Conne, an Izakaya in Oimachi that I would like to share with you.

It was in December of 2006, and a number of co-workers assembled in Tokyo for some meetings.  I ended up recommending that our group head over to Conne, where Kenji-san and Mako-san would take good care of us.  Here is a picture of these two doing their thing on that very night.
The small shop was quite crowded that night, and I was happy for Kenji as he had relatively just started running this restaurant.  We ate well, and had our expected good service.
Not too long after this meal I had heard that Mako-san left Conne.  This was disappointing to me, and I am sad to say I have not been back to the shop.  As I have stated before in this Blog, I do know that Conne is still operating which is very good news.
I hope to return to Conne again on my next visit if there is time.  It has been 5 years now that Kenji-san has been running this restaurant.  In the hyper-competitive world of Tokyo Izakaya's, I think this says something good about Kenji and his cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment