Sunday, November 27, 2011

My eyes have seen, my hands have touched, my heart has felt . . .

Well I finally made it back to Japan.  It took twelve months, but circumstances made it feel like twelve years.  The most anticipated trip in my 17 years of engagement with Nippon ended recently, and it was without question, the most moving trip I have ever made.  It is very difficult to accurately describe it in full.  Of course the highlight was visiting our factories in Miyagi prefecture.  Seeing the damage caused by the earthquake and tsunami first hand is of course much more powerful than seeing pictures or watching the television.  Eight months after the beginning of this disaster, and there are still plenty of reminders around to let you know full recovery is still quite a ways away.  This picture shows a freighter at the Port of Sendai.  The back end of this ship is actually hanging out over the water.
Here is a picture of a house in Tagajo.  It is so strange that such a house is so obviously out of place, swept off it foundations and moved by the powerful tsunami, yet the other surrounding structures show no apparent outside damage.
Such is the case in Tohoku.  Devastating damage, and right next to it, signs of a strong recovery under way.  Much has been written about the strength and resolve of the Japanese people.  However to me, there is no way to put into writing just how strong, and how resilient these people actually are.  I have seen this incredible strength and resilience first hand - at our factories, as well as at neighboring businesses that I have frequented throughout the years of my travels.  I have physcially touched these places with my own hands.  My heart has felt the great spirit that resides up in Tohoku.  I feel a great sense of honor to know many of these people who have sacrificed so much.  My life has been enriched by this experience, and I will make a strong effort to remain inspired in the future by what I have seen, what I have touched, and what I have felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment