Friday, June 17, 2011

Favorite Pictures

Of the multitude of pictures that I have collected through the years visiting Japan, there are two that stick out to me as personal favorites.  The first one I took in December of 2000.  It is a straightforward and simple picture really, taken in the first car of a Yamanote Line train in Tokyo behind the driver.  As you may know, I like trains.  Nowhere in the world where I have been to are trains a more integrated part of society than in Japan.  They are clean, safe, and most importantly (and impressively) on time.  On my second trip to Japan I took the Yamanote Line all the way around one morning to try and see the full scope of Tokyo.  This is something that probably most people would laugh at doing, although I am sure quite a few late night intoxicated Japanese have accomplished this feat unintentionally.
I like this picture for many reasons.  It is the old school train car, which is being phased out by newer, more "electronic" models.  It is a beautiful day, with a clear track ahead, which gives me the sense of a bright future.  The fact that the Yamanote Line runs in a circle means the future has endless possibilities.  The driver looks sharp and shows discipline, which to me is a great representation of the Japanese culture.  I was always amazed when I watched Yamanote Line drivers and how they made a pointing motion to the clock on their dash each time the train came to a full stop at a station.  Right on time again.

The second picture is one that my old school friends will recognize.  It was taken early in the morning on my very first trip to Japan in December of 1994.  This picture is of a special place, but it is made even more special by the fact that today it is gone.  Almost all of the buildings have been leveled, as time has moved on.  In the shot a Japanese man going to work was inadvertently caught in frame when I snapped the picture.  But for me this fact does not detract from the photo, but rather adds to it.  It represents work for me, and therefore is appropriate.  Another beautiful, crisp December morning in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment