Monday, June 27, 2011

An Idea, A Plan, and Execution - "Tateishi"

I have a Japanese friend named Ken.  He is a very special friend, an interesting friend.  He sees things that many people don't see.  Things that I like.  We share a love of simple, rustic yet flavorful food, as well as historical old places.  It was because of this commonality that Ken informed me from his current residence in Singapore that I must try a couple of restaurants in an area of Tokyo called Tateishi.  Specifically he said they had a great restaurant that specializes in guts called Uchida.  So on a weekend day a couple of years back, I headed out with a couple of close friends who shared the same desire to see and taste this special place.

But there is more to the story than just this.  Before I headed off to Japan on this specific business trip, one of my Tokyo co-workers got wind of the fact that I was planning a possible trip to Tateishi.  So this incredibly nice person, who is a good friend, put together a special intelligence file for me which showed up in my Inbox, which would be my guide.  First, he showed me how to get there, which is not quite straightforward as it involves using a non-JR Line train (not too difficult of course, but not as easy as JR).  Here are shots of what he sent me.
We made it, but the hour was a bit odd and unfortunately Uchida was closed.  Oh by the way, here was a shot of Uchida's offerings, as sent with the rest of my "Tateishi Package".
Not to worry, this area, which sits in an old industrial type warehouse contained a number of small shops as well as markets.  It is a very interesting and nostalgic place to walk around.  With my handy guide, I knew there were many other options, and I knew exactly where they were, and what they served!!!

 Here is a shot of the main walking alley in this building. 
So after looking into another restaurant that was a no-go because it was too crowded, we ended up at a walk up Sushi Bar for our late lunch (Sakaezushi).  This place had a very nice quality of sushi, which was prepared with incredible skill and speed.  AND, it was cheap!!!  We tried a number of great things which were prepared and delivered to us almost as fast as we could get the order out of our mouths.  Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the inside or outside of this wonderful place which is a shame (I will when I go back!!!).  I do remember one piece of sushi that I tried for the first time here, and surprisingly did not really care for it.  Shirako.  Yep, it was a bit of a challenge even for natto, uni, ikura loving me.  Oh well, maybe it is an acquired taste.  Here is one of the Iron Chef Judges who joined us for this tasting.
We ate it all (not a huge lunch, but rather just a strategically selected one) rather quickly (it is hard not to), paid our bill and then we were on our way.  After checking out the other shops, we headed off down the street to . . . . a Ramen Shop (!) that I believe had been recommended by one of the sushi chefs.  We tucked into the small family owned shop and bellied up to the bar for our fill of noodles.  It was a rather hedonistic lunch when all was said and done.  I probably would have been in better shape had I walked back to Shinagawa.

So I guess you can understand part of the reason why I love Japan so much and feel so lucky to have great friends there.  Not only do I get an incredibly well thought out and detailed map/plan sent to me in advance by someone who cared, but I also get a couple of friends to take the time on their weekend to make the trip with me!  How can I lose?  How can I not have a great time.  It is impossible!!!!

Oh well, another day exploring the beauty of Tokyo with friends.  Thanks to the "Map Maker", my friends who ventured with me, and of course the catalyst of the idea - Ken in Singapore.  What a Wonderful World (again)!

1 comment: