Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nov. 2010 Japan Trip - Post #5: Korean BBQ

After exploring Enoshima Island in November of 2010, we headed back to Tokyo for dinner and a few late night drinks.  We decided on Shibuya as our destination, as it allowed many opportunities for both.  After some discussion we ended up at a very modern and popular Korean BBQ restaurant called "Toraji" not too far from Shibuya Station.  I am not sure I really understand what the difference is between Korean and Japanese BBQ (Yakiniku).  It seems to me that the Japanese refer to Yakiniku as "Korean" BBQ.  Either way, we had some nice food and nice conversation, and of course Mary struggled with the different cuts of meat which were quite varied.  However, she was a good sport, and loved it!
Korean BBQ is a very fun and interactive way of dining.  I had never experienced it before I went to Japan, which is kind of funny I think.  It opened up to me just how good Korean cuisine really is, and I have been a big fan ever since.
I have been to many excellent Korean BBQ places in Japan.  Across the street and down an alley from the old Hotel Pacific in Shinagawa was one of my first experiences I think.  It was a really nice shop that you would never find unless specifically guided, but I found it curious each time I went to that place that there seemed to be lots of stray cats that roamed around near their front door.  We had great Korean BBQ in Gotanda too which I remember quite well.
Korean BBQ - another great reason why I love Japan!!!  Some day though I do hope for a chance to get to Korea!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great Japan Travel Info you have shared with us. It’ll help people a lot planning a trip to Japan.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete