Monday, October 31, 2011

Good Ramen in OC? Hai!!!!

I am going to stray off the main topic of being inside of Japan to once again give some kudos to a wonderful Japanese restaurant in Orange County.

On the occasion when I use LAX for a domestic business trip, I usually find myself making the one hour plus drive home late at night after the return flight.  This allows me the chance to stop at my favorite Orange County Ramen shop - Shinsengumi in Fountain Valley for a nice dinner.  Yes, we have some great Japanese Ramen shops in Orange County.
For some of you who have visited me in Orange County, you may wonder why I am not saying Santoka in the Mitsuwa food court in Costa Mesa is not my favorite.  Well, it is a very close call.  Actually, it might be a tie.  But what breaks the tie is that this Hakata Ramen shop has a side dish that I have fallen in love with - Takana Fried Rice.
Takana Fried Rice is a fabulous combination of rice, some kind of meat I think (I suspect pork), egg, a pickled, green leafy vegetable (mustard greens???) and the final touch of thick strands of ginger.  It is really, really good to my taste.  While it may seem a little over the top to have the starch of rice in addition to the starch of noodles, for me it is the perfect combination.  Here is a picture of this meal, one of my favorites in Orange County!
The regular bowl of this Kyushu style ramen does not include the egg.  I put it in there anyway, because I like it.  Here is a picture of the Takana rice being fried in the hot wok.
There are a few of these Shinsengumi restaurants around the greater Los Angeles area.  Their main component is a Robata - Yakitori style grill.  There are many, many items on their menu and all of the ones I have tried are very tasty!.  It is a really popular place.  Immediately next door to the Fountain Valley Robata - Yakitori restaurant is the Ramen shop.  They share a passageway between them.


This shop also serves up some very good gyoza. An all around great place. Only problem is there is always a line out front (see the first picture). The wait is worth it. Trust me.

Oh one last thing. For all you competitive eaters out there, like Ken and Hank K., why don't you stop by for some of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment