Saturday, March 17, 2012

Susie's Jazz and Drink - Shinbashi

I want to write two back to back posts on a couple of very cool, small bars in Shinbashi.  I want to get these posts out now, as I just found out one of these bars just regrettably closed one month ago.  The name of this now closed establishment is Susie's Jazz and Drink.  Both of these wonderful, little bars, which sit side by side under the arches of the Shinbashi Station train tracks are throwbacks to an era of long ago.  Founded in the 1950's, Susie's was run by who else - Susie, until it's recent closure.  We happened to stumble on to this place in November of 2011, as I desired to search out a nice, casual bar in the Shinbashi area.  The outside of this place was certainly nothing special, as it was basically just a door with an uninviting, small sign that read "Jazz and Drink".  That was enough for me though, as upon being brave enough to enter we found an inviting and interesting interior along with Susie herself behind the bar.
The theme of the bar was of course Jazz, which was playing softly in the background.  Pictures on the walls of many jazz greats reinforced this theme.
Perhaps the most amazing picture though was of the New York skyline which adorned the entire left side semi-curved wall.  I could not get a picture of it that did it justice, but you can see some of it here on the left.  It was beautiful.
It was a tiny box of a place, with a retro feel that was very warm and inviting.  Whiskey was perhaps the most popular drink here, as it took up a good portion of the menu.
Unfortunately Susie did not speak much English, so I was thankful I had along some of my coworker friends with me.  This kind of bar I think is a bit rare in Tokyo, and they are getting harder and harder to find.  They are off the beaten path, and becoming forgotten in this day of more modern, youthful oriented pursuits.
 I am glad I had a chance to catch Susie just before she closed her doors after decades of continuous service.  I hope she is well in her "retirement".
While I suppose it may be a bit irrelevant at this point due to the closure, here is a card from Susie's.  Maybe the closure is temporary though and one day we may be able to once again get a nice drink and sample the good atmosphere and jazz from this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment