Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Whale of a Time at Shimanto

Back in the beginning of the 21st century, our Tokyo office was at a relatively new building in a complex called "Shinagawa Seaside".  It was not very convenient from a train perspective, at least compared to our other Tokyo locations.  During the time spent at this office, which was a number of years, some of our local staffers found a small restaurant on the old Tokaido Road called "Shimanto".  It was a small Izakaya, located on the second (or third?) floor of a nondescript little building.  If you did not know where you were going, you probably would never find it.  During our span at this office location, our staff became friends with the owners as they ate quite a number of meals there. 

The Mama-san was quite a famous and entertaining lady.  She was a bit of a fortune teller, and many people asked her for their fortunes.  I do remember getting mine told by her many years ago.  I cannot remember it specifically now, but I do remember it was for the most part positive.  Do you think she ever gives out any negative fortunes??  :-)

Here is a picture from one of those dinners there in May of 2004.  It is a special shot because it includes my old friend Joe.  I only had the good fortune of joining Joe for dinner a couple of times in Japan which is a pity.  Good company.
One of the things I also remember about Shimanto is that they served Whale.  It came in a shashimi form.  It was the only time in my life that I have tried Whale, which I believe is illegal to be served at any restaurant over here in the U.S.  Anyway Whale was (and I am sure still is) always on the menu at Shimanto.

I have not been to this restaurant for a number of years now, but I heard that it is still going strong to this day.  There seems to be a good market out there in Japan for restaurants who serve Whale, good times, and good fortunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment