Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stories from Tampopo - "Mrs. Green"

I have posted in the past about one of my favorite little snack bars in Kita-Shinagawa named Tampopo.  Tampopo is a place where things happen.  Fun things.  Interesting people converge to sing songs and enjoy the company and atmosphere.  Today, in honor of the Japanese National Holiday "Midori no Hi" or "Greenery Day", I would like to share with you just one of the beautiful people who I have met at Tampopo.  Her name is appropriately enough, "Mrs. Green".

I met Mrs. Green a number of years ago during one of our infamous late night sessions at Tampopo.  She was a regular there.  A middle aged woman who came alone, she obviously enjoyed singing a song or two, taking a drink or two, and maybe in between it all, dancing with some of her friends.  What's not to like about that?!
During subsequent visits to Tampopo, I would see Mrs. Green (who does not speak English), and we would share a hug, and maybe after the right number of drinks, a dance.  It was all good fun, and Mrs. Green certainly enjoyed it all.
My favorite story about Mrs. Green was on a certain trip on my last night in Japan, I decided to go to Tampopo with a friend for a final night of fun.  We got there late - maybe 11:30 p.m., but the place had it's small number of participants there and the mood was good.  We put in a few songs, and had a few drinks, and I was starting to get a little tired.  Then, in walks Mrs. Green, who promptly sits down at the counter bar, orders a drink, fires up a cigarette and proceeds to tell those around her that she just came from a dance contest (which she won).  I looked up at the clock on the wall.  It was 12:30 a.m., and Mrs. Green was just getting started.
We extended our own party to accommodate Mrs. Green of course, and I had another great final night in Tokyo.  What a wonderful world, with wonderful people!

No comments:

Post a Comment