Saturday, May 14, 2011

What Does This Mean???!!!

Don't ask me how, but I came across a post about this Blog in Japan.  I think it might be famous over there and maybe you have heard about it.  It is a Blog from a guy who posts a picture of the same vending machine - every single day (or at least every day that he works).  He is on his 6th year in a row now I think, and lives up in Hokkaido.  Are you aware of this?  Do you know what it means???  Some may write this guy off as crazy or bored.  I think there is more to it than that.  I think this says something about Japan.  What, I am not sure.  I am still contemplating it all and seeking meaning.  Maybe my friends can help me.  Here is a picture of the machine in it's current state.
Of course on almost all days, the picture stays the same, as the contents of vending machines rarely change.  However, he also posts pictures of the same machine on the same day of the year for the past 4-5 years!  But on the rare day when something is moved or replaced, in addition to the picture of the machine like above, there is another picture below which shows the changes like this one.
Five years.  Every work day without fail.  So to my deep thinking Japanese friends (and you know who you are), please tell me what this all means.  There is something special here I believe.  Attention to detail, which the Japanese are very famous for of course comes to mind.  I think this is a great Blog.  I don't know why.

Oh, in case you do NOT know about this Blog, it can be found here:  http://jihan.sblo.jp/

No comments:

Post a Comment